Wednesday, July 20, 2005

What's the Buzz...

 Posted by Picasa

Today, it would seem...the oregano came into its own, and was just swarming with pollinators drawn to the sweetness. It was kind of exciting for me (and here I go proving my status as Garden Geek). I remember honeybees from my childhood in NJ, I used to watch them (and try to catch them)as they'd zigzag their way through the clover in the lawn.

 Posted by Picasa


In the years since, pesticides caught up with some of them, rare bee diseases claimed more...and they've really be on the decline. I hadn't seen one in a long, long time. Until this week...I spotted one the other day, flitting through the "ironweed" (I'll seek out a more official name shortly...)...and then today, there were literally dozens of them...and bumblebees (of two different sizes), wasps, butterflies, dragonflies. It was quite something...

Bumblybee. Posted by Picasa

No comments: