Thursday, October 18, 2007

The Garden Remains


The change of the seasons is everywhere. Leaves are turning colors, some plants are dying back, seedpods abound, the ducks have returned to the pond, and the mums are finally starting to do a little something. I'll have more about this pretty pink fellow tomorrow, as he has quite the story to share.

Despite the shortening days, a few other plantss continue to squeeze out the occasional blossom, like this pale yellow calendula.

And the asters' beat goes on.

As always, it was a happy surprised when I heard this young fellow shuffling through the fallen leaves. I haven't seen this particular box turtle before, and I believe he's smaller than the others I've known here the last few years. Nice to see the new generation making the rounds...even if he was less than enthusiastic about seeing me.

[EDIT, 4/14/08: Six months later, a little embarrassed to look back at this entry as I add tags and realize that I didn't recognize my old friend, "Crackey", who I ought to have recognized by that stripe of epoxy repair work across his shell. I suppose I attribute that to the whirl my mind was getting itself into about the move. Calm on the surface, but a complete freakshow inside...]

Our recent spate of cool weather (we've had a warm-up today, into the mid-60s once again. I won't mind if this trend continues for another month or so.)has brought a new wave of pink clover blossoms to the back garden.

No comments: