Sunday, December 23, 2007

Dashing


So, this morning I remembered that this is a garden blog, and so I wandered out to the new border garden to see if there was anything much to look at...and found these very interesting seedpods on the Casa Blanca lily.

After that, it was time to get ready for a day of merrily dashing about, starting with a trip along Route 28, to find a tree stand and hopefully just the tree I was looking for.


Normally, I'm all about getting the biggest, fullest tree we can fit into the house, but this year, considering aging bodies and residual exhaustion from the move, I was looking to simplify, and just get a cute tree that wouldn't allow too many ornaments or lights.

I had planned that I'd do a whole photo essay on visiting the tree lot and trying to find the right tree, but truth be told, I spotted this one as I was parking the car and it was love at first sight. I only remembered to grab the camera once it was tied to the top of the car.

I dropped the tree off at home, and took the time to get it situated in the tree stand, so it could drink for the afternoon before I bring it inside this evening. While I hated to take any branches off, there was one (isn't there always?) that comes off the trunk too low to accomodate the stand fitting right.

So I used that branch to make a spray for the back door, adding those lily seed pods, with some sedum and beebalm seedheads and a nice bit of red ribbon.


And then off I dashed again, to Hyannis, where I visited K Mart (as well as some other places it would be indiscreet to mention before Christmas). The place was not quite a mob scene, but pretty busy. And I thought that everyone was in pretty good spirits, despite the fact the Big K is apparently NOT designed for frantic shoppers with carts to move through.

But apparently, everyone shops there, even Santa's elves!

No comments: