Sunday, May 11, 2008

Sunday Garden Report


Here's those orange tulips soaking up the wonderful and warm sunshine we were blessed with today.

I enjoyed taking a cup of coffee out front in the warm early light to have a nice close look at the border, to see the progress of everything.

Just about every plant out there has gotten a bit taller, or sent out a second level of leaves.

But the biggest news, for me anyway, is the appearance of the first lilies thrusting their way out of the ground.

To the right is an asiatic lily stem. I actually spotted this one in the rain the other day, but wasn't able to get a proper photo until this morning. Since it was, I suspect (I didn't take notes while I was moving everything, so I can't recall with certainty how many other lilies made the move from Eastham), part of the bag of mixed lilies I planted earlier, I won't venture a guess about it's color or habit--that's just one of the things to look forward to over the next two months.

This one below, however, I know very well. It just appeared for the first time this morning and it is the Casa Blanca lily, oriental in variety (which means it blooms a little later, the flowers are larger...and the scent is exquisite.). This is one of my favorite flowers of the whole summer, and so I had carefully made note of where I planted this one during the garden move last fall.


Elsewhere, all the peony plants are coming along nicely, the larger ones already a foot tall or better. And today, I spotted the first tiny buds on a few of them!!

For a week or so now, I've been trying to get a good shot of the bleeding heart in it's setting, to show you how large it is, and how nicely it gets along with its neighbors.

There's an understory of purple and white violets, the single white daffodil I showed you the other day, and further away are the purple blossoms of money plant. Way in the distance against the fence, is evidence that--when I refer to my Great Big Hoe--I really do mean a piece of garden equipment.


Once my review of the troops was complete, I turned my attention to the morning glory seedlings inside. As most of them are already showing their third leaf--the first true one--I wanted to carefully get them into larger pots, since I don't anticipate putting them into the ground before Memorial Day weekend. I think eight out of a possible thirteen is pretty reasonable, as indoor amateur germination goes.

To make sure I've got a great crop of them this summer, tonight I planted another twenty-four of them!!

I leave you tonight with another look at the much-discussed slender speedwell. Say what else you like about it, the tiny flowers are terrific.

10 comments:

dykewife said...

no sign of our peonies :)

the flowers that i thought were lily of the valley are actually tulips. odd ones though. i'll get bran to take a picture of them when they're blooming.

Unknown said...

It changes so much in just a week!

And good gad, Greg- that hoe has to be taller even than you are? Who helps you garden, the Jolly Green Giant? That thing looks seven feet tall! :)

Butch said...

Geesh, Greg, I think you have more than a "green-thumb", you have "green-hands!" ;-)

( Where I was raised the "hoe" had another definition, but I digress. . . )

Patrick said...

That photo of the violets seems to me to do the color justice. Wow, I am fixated, am I not? I love the whole range of colors shown here, especially in the bleeding heart/money plant/violets shot. And yes, I love the speedwell blossoms! I think I missed that discussion, will go look at previous comments again.

Greg said...

DW, congratulations on the non-sighting of your landlady's peonies. Were they bare-root, or potted plants? The former might have a harder time...which I know wouldn't trouble you! ; ) Can't wait to see those tulips!

Jenn, Butch, it's the biggest frickin' Hoe I've seen since college, that's for sure...well, except for Paris (Hilton), I guess.

We found it in the shed here and I haven't actually used it yet...I just laugh at it now and then.

Patrick, some people obsess about money or fame or power. I think an obsession about the color purple and/or violets is kind of charming!

And to recap for you (but you missed an entry!? Shame on you!), the speedwell is officially categorized as >gasp< a weed!!

Patrick said...

Actually, I hadn't missed that entry, but couldn't remember for certain that it was the Speedwell that was designated a weed. I'm with you, as long as it doesn't take over, I'd want to let it grow too. The color is just too gorgeous. Some people consider violets weeds as well. My sister drives her husband a bit batty because she likes to wait to see what plant in the garden does before she pulls it. Some beautiful volunteers have been allowed to stay. My brother-in-law is of the opinion that if you didn't plant it, it's a weed. But he indulges his wife (and I think secretly enjoys her response).

Greg said...

Patrick, your sister and I could grow some pretty gardens together! I got started on the idea of garden amnesty one summer when Mom and I were given permission to dig up some wildflowers from a bit of land to be developed. We were just getting to know what everything looked like, and we planted in a somewhat wild spot...and so allowed everything but grass to grow in the spot...

I also used to drive my Dad a little nuts by mowing *around* patches of indian paintbrush that were about to bloom when I was doing the lawn! Now I just dig them out and add them a corner of the garden...

Joe Jubinville said...

I think I could grow a few great peonies and be happy. I don't know what's prettier, their flowers or foliage. What color are yours?

Greg said...

Joe, I agree, the peony foliage is a delightful lead-in to the flowers themselves...and also a nice bit of green throughout the season after.

These are all a hot pink color, which I'm happy with, although I chose none of them. (you can click the "peony" tag for a sample from last season!)

I've always been a particular fan of the Festivus Maximus (or whatever the very similar non-Seinfeld name might be...), which are white, with a bit of deep red in the center.

In whatever color scheme, they are a big treat for the nose, that's for sure! But if you only grew peonies, what would you enjoy the rest of the year!?!

Sh@ney said...

I love it when bulbs first break through the soil, and then you get to watch them grow into magnificence! Nate's bulbs have resurfaced 'already'. He said it is far too early as we are heading into winter and they will not survive. Strange things at work here!
Can't wait to see the blooms Greg!