Tuesday, May 24, 2005

With Slicker and Boots

There was a light mist in the air this morning, sometimes as much as a momentary spatter of rain. Not optimal conditions for working in the garden, but a day off is a Day Off, and it was harder to try to stay in the house and not get my hands in the dirt. More grasses were removed as I continue to lay out bed frameworks, carrying in the latest rock additions. The weeding is trickier in the current location, as there's some creeping thyme woven into the grass, which I'm trying to preserve.

Got the little fences up around the more substantial clumps of peonies, as they are beginning to climb toward the sky, and high winds are predicted with both the storms coming our way. Several buds are already popping up, and one industrious ant was found playing his role in the whole flowering process. That's one of the reasons I'm willing to work around the ant colony I've spied in one of the beds.

And as the rain became just a little more substantial, I did some more transplanting of perennials from the meadow-marsh area. The water level is continuing to rise there (the green heron is a daily sighting lately, tho they remain quick to fly off and avoid any photo opportunity), and two nor'easters will only amplify that, so I've been trying to extricate some of the things that've gone wild there to offer them dryer locales in the new beds.

The transplants were blackeyed susans and yarrow mostly, along with a few wild daisies, but I also discovered several clumps of something I've seen before and know, but not quite well enough to name them. You know...the face is familiar, but I just can't come up with the name. I'll try to get a picture soon, in case anyone else has knows this character.

No comments: