Friday, January 05, 2007

Our Wondering Eyes...


On this Eleventh Day of Christmas there were, mercifully, no eleven pipers piping, ten lords leaping, ladies dancing, etc. But as the temperatures rose in the mid-fifties, we were treating to equally wondrous sites, as spring seemed to arrive on Cape Cod!


A blue primrose near the back of the house has begun to bloom, with white ones threatening to join in over the weekend. The Montauk daisies have begun to squeeze out fresh foliage along their bare stems.


At the Eastham Post Office, windowboxes full of pansies bloomed happily (tho, to be honest, they've been doing that through the whole Christmas season...).



It was high tide at Boat Creek as I passed by on my way to work this morning, so I hopped out for a picture or two.






Even the cherry trees on the Cape have fallen for the confusion of this out-of-season spring and burst into bloom, like this one just off Rock Harbor Road.



Back at home, we did have nearly ten frogs a leaping, which is as close, I guess, as we'll get to those original lyrics.


I'm pretty sure I even heard a few peeper frogs singing down by the water's edge after dark tonight.



I played around with a "snowflake filter" to take this picture. The filter is actually a pair of novelty sunglasses I came into possession of during the Christmas party season. They're made for looking at Christmas lights, and when you do, the glasses filter the brightest part of the light so it looks like a snowflake...and as you can see (especially if you open the photo in a new window), the effect wasn't totally lost on my camera.

I suppose that's the closest we'll see to snow for a while. Meanwhile, our prayers and best wishes go out to those folks in the Colorado region, who tonight are looking down the barrel of their third winter storm on as many Fridays. But there's still no such thing as global warming, right?

No comments: