Saturday, October 20, 2007


It's a windy night tonight, steadily windy, with the occasional strong gust. You can hear the treetops rustling, dancing with one another in the dark. Wooden windchimes >bonk< against one another outside the living room porch and tree bells ring on the other side of the house. Acorns and smaller branches occasionally batter against the roof.

It's 68 degrees, so it's a nice warm wind, though. It feels good blowing in my hair when I stand or sit near the open window. There's power in the air, you can feel it. And the evidence to back up that feeling was found in the large tree limb I saw fallen on the road just up the street on my way home.

There's an official wind advisory posted, warning us that such winds could cause damage, but are expected to begin falling off around 2:00 a.m., as the cool front moves in.

Along with the wind, we're getting occasional bursts of rain, with a light spattering on most of the breezes in between. The pond and the ducks and the gardens will certainly benefit, since the rain is supposed to continue through the earlier half of the day.

After posting my wry little comment about the fall foliage of the poison ivy, I realized that there are some other bursts of autumn color on our predominantly brown and green landscape...and so I've tried to share a few more of those with you tonight.

The strangest of which is this orangey-pink fungi I found growing on a tree stump outside the kitchen door.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

It looks like the tree ate too much bubble yum!

-Heather (Pence that is)

dec0r8or said...

Lovin' the fungi, Greg. Hey, I was in your state yesterday! Hee! Kathleen and I ventured over to Massachusettes to leaf-peep. It was beautiful.

Amber Cargile said...

What gorgeous photos, Greg! And that chrysanthemum photo is truly spectacular.