Saturday, November 24, 2007

Thanksgiving Highlights

[Finally, some photographic highlights of my Thanksgiving travels...]

So, Monday morning found me cleaning and packing the car, with snow flurries occasionally winging about; got that garden moved just in time, I figure.

I was on the road by noontime. There were flurries then, too, though they didn't read so well in the photo, and only lasted until I reached the Canal. And then the trip ran steady to Albany, as darkness fell. I had Cormac McCarthy's "The Road" talking book for company. Great story, if a little dark.

After a brief repast with Bob, I rendezvoused with Dad at the Albany International Airport and a few more bites to eat later, we were on the last leg of the trip, headed north into the mountains.

There was snow on the ground there, seen easily in the dark, but the roads were clear. With two exceptions (one easy-going deer, and a fox who was pretending to be a train, and crossed the road between grade crossing signals--shame they didn't activate for him)we saw no wildlife. Overall, it was a happily uneventful journey...and we received warm greetings from Mom and the cat when we arrived around 11:00 p.m.

I slept very well, with the sound of brook just outside, and the predicted mix of rain and snow waited until we were all asleep before it made its appearance.


It was mostly rain, but turning to an icy mess as it hit the already-grounded snow...and the rain lasted most of the week.

This made for a very peaceful and relaxing visit, as we stayed mostly home, relaxing and enjoying one another's company. After the big Garden Move, I was happy for the downtime.

Which isn't to say we didn't accomplish things with our days, like the burying of Saint Joseph (to be clear, it was a statue of him)in the snowy garden out front. It is said he may help to bring the right buyer to discover the house and facilitate a sale.

But mostly, it was a delightful week to lay around and play with my buddy, my brother-cousin Dewey, seen here lounging on his magic carpet.

I did get myself slicker-ed up one afternoon, and made my way across the street to the lake, where I captured a few foggy shots.



When Thanks
giving Day arrived, followed shortly by Sue and Joe, we were too busy making merry and enjoying one another's company to remember to attempt a group photo.

I did get this shot of our table, however, the green beans strategically concealed behind the centerpiece so as not to spoil the memory. ; )

Also present and accounted for were Eastham turnips, sweet potato crunch, apple and sausage stuffing and naturally, turkey, mashed potatoes, gravy and cranberry sauce.

Here's a nicer shot of our table mums, with their bright fall colors. Amusing to note, they are the same colors as The Incredibles' costumes, which we all sleepily enjoyed on television later in the evening (but that's fodder for My Other Blog).

No comments: